Americans we all have the opportunity to enjoy our National parks. Most of
us have been lucky enough to visit at least one of these parks and
probably even had some interaction with the park rangers. Many of us, including
myself, even grew up hoping to become a park ranger some day. However,
very few of us realize the dangers faced by rangers while on duty. Unfortunately
several have been killed while protecting our natural resources or
the visitors to these national parks. I hope this page will in some small
way pay tribute to these fallen rangers for the jobs they were doing for
all of us.
The following list is not complete, information is limited. I will
add additional Rangers as that information becomes available to me. If any of the information
is incorrect or if you know of a ranger not listed please e-mail me at
Click on the rangers name below for additional details.
- Jeff Christensen - 31,
Rocky Mountain National Park Colorado July 29, 2005
- Suzanne Roberts - 36,
Haleakala National Park, Sept. 2004
- Tom O’Hara - 41, Katmai
National Park & Preserve plane crash in December 2002.
- Kris Eggle - 28, Organ Pipe National Monument in 2002.
- Cale Shaffer - 25, Denali
National Park, Alaska, plane crash on Mt McKinley, June 19, 2000.
- Steve Makuakae-Jarrell
- 47, Kaloko-Honokohau National Historical Park, Hawaii 1999.
- Joe Kolodski - 36, Great Smoky
Mountain National Park in 1998
- Michael A. Beaulieu - Seasonal Park Ranger Michael A.
Beaulieu, 23, was killed in an automobile accident while
responding to a wildfire call in Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah.
Monday, August 26, 1996
- Randy Morgenson - 54, Sequoia-Kings Canyon NPs, drowned
while on solo backcountry
patrol in July, 1996
- Ryan Waltman - 23, Yellowstone
NP. July 1994
- Robert Mahn Jr. - 51,
Yellowstone NP. January 1994
- Robert Lewis McGhee Jr. -
Gulf Islands National Seashore, 1990.
- Duane P. McClure - 35,
drowned during a
solo canoe patrol in Yellowstone, May 1980.
- Ward W. Hall - automobile accident Grand Canyon National Park.
July 16, 1979
- Gregory Burdine -
25, died in an accident while pursuing a vehicle for speeding in
the Colonial National Historical Park, Virginia. November 26, 1977
- James P. Fleetwood - automobile accident. July 5 1077
- Kenneth Patrick - 40, Point Reyes National Seashore in 1973.
- John C. Fonda - Drown, Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming.
March 9, 1960
- Gale H. Wilcox - hypothermia, Grand Teton National Park,
Wyoming. March 9, 1960
- Charles R. Scarborough - Assistant Chief Ranger Charles R.
Scarborough was killed in a rock slide in Yosemite National Park,
June 21, 1954
- Karl Andrew Jacobson - 22,
Acadia National Park November 13, 1938
- Fred Johnson - drown in the Colorado River, Grand Canyon,
Arizona. February 20, 1929
- James Alexander Cary - 31, shot by bootleggers Hot Springs
National Park. March 12, 1927
Related Articles & Resources
Game Wardens Killed in the Line Of Duty
● State Park and National Parks
Drug Cartels Thrive in US National Parks
Arizona Park Most Dangerous in U.S.
Grand Canyon Biologist Dies Of Plague
National Parks With